This was a recipe that took a lot of planning. I wanted it to be so perfect and I kept going over and over it hoping to get it straight.
I decided to make the little mushrooms the first day since they could be held at room temperature for a few days. I actually had to make two separate batches since the first ones looked a little pathetic to me. I found it to be a messy job using a plastic baggie so the second batch I did by hand. Not great, but at least they were round.
The second day I worked on the Genoise and that wasn’t too difficult. I rolled it without a problem and was pleased that it did not crack.
As for the filling, I thought it was delicious. I didn’t use the orange peel because I don’t like fruit cooked that way. Besides, with the chocolate in there, that’s enough for me.
After filling the cake I rolled it again in the plastic wrap and put it into the refrigerator overnight so I could finish the decorating the next day.
I think I cut the branches incorrectly because they did not look exactly as David had in the book, but when they were covered up it didn’t seem to matter at all.
The chocolate icing was very easy to prepare and went on the cake smoothly.
All in all I am pleased with the results, and most importantly, I’m glad we are finished with that recipe.